- Day 1 (November 8, 2021). Opening Remarks by Radha Dalal, Symposium Co-chair and Associate Professor of Islamic Art and Architecture and Director of Art History at VCUarts Qatar, followed by the keynote address, titled The Quest for Thermal Delight, by Nasser Rabbat, Aga Khan Professor and Director of the Aga Khan Program for Islamic Architecture at MIT.
- Full link: https://vimeo.com/714153297.
FROM THE CATEGORY ARCHIVES:
- Day 2 (November 9, 2021). Opening Remarks by Jochen Sokoly, Symposium Co-chair and Associate Professor of Art History of the Islamic World at VCUarts Qatar, followed by presentations by Rebecca Zorach, Mary Jane Crowe Professor in Art and Art History, Northwestern University; Farid Esmaeil, Founding Partner and Principal Architect, X Architects; and T.J. Demos, Professor in the Department of the History of Art and Visual Culture, University of California, Santa Cruz. Full link: https://vimeo.com/717818697.
- Day 3 (November 10, 2021). Opening Remarks by Sean Roberts, Symposium Co-chair and Lecturer in Early Modern Art at the University of Tennessee and Affiliated Associate Professor at VCUarts Qatar, followed by presentations by D. Fairchild Ruggles, Debra Mitchell Endowed Chair in Landscape Architecture, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign; Yusen Yu, Lecturer in Iranian Islamic Art History, University of St Andrews; Stephane Pradines, Professor of Islamic Art and Architecture, Aga Khan University Institute for the Study of Muslim Civilisations (AKU-ISMC), London; and Alexander Brey, Assistant Professor in the Department of Art, Wellesley College. Full link: https://vimeo.com/717856803.
- Day 4 (November 11, 2021). Presentations by Anna M. Gade, Vilas Distinguished Achievement Professor and Associate Dean for Research and Education in the Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies, University of Wisconsin; Nada Shabout, Regent Professor of Art History and Coordinator of the Contemporary Arab and Muslim Cultural Studies Initiative (CAMCSI), University of North Texas; Huma Gupta, Lecturer, Aga Khan Program for Islamic Architecture, MIT; and Rachel Winter, PhD Candidate, University of California, Santa Barbara. Full link: https://vimeo.com/717881457.
- Day 5 (November 12, 2021). Presentations by Amanda Boetzkes, Professor of Contemporary Art History and Theory, University of Guelph; Elizabeth Rauh, Assistant Professor of Modern Art and Visual Cultures, American University in Cairo; Pamela Karimi, Associate Professor, Art Education, Art History and Media Studies, University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth; Michelle Apotsos, Associate Professor of Art, Williams College; and Nisa Ari, Beinecke Postdoctoral Fellow, Center for Advanced Study in the Visual Arts, National Gallery of Art.
- Full link: https://vimeo.com/718211589.
- Day 6 (November 15, 2021). Roundtable Conversation with Jochen Sokoly, Symposium Co-chair and Associate Professor of Art History of the Islamic World at VCUarts Qatar, and artists Camille Zakharia and Tarek Al-Ghoussein, moderated by Holiday Powers and Monica Merlin, Assistant Professors of Art History at VCUarts Qatar. The artists’ work was the subject of an exhibition at VCUarts Qatar titled Landscapes of Arabia: Camille Zakharia and Tarek Al-Ghoussein, curated by Jochen Sokoly.
- Full link: https://vimeo.com/717890795.